Wednesday 31 January 2024

Week 4 (Mathematics and Art)

 Reading Reflection:

 Berezovski, Cheng & Damiano (2016). Spinning Arms in Motion: Exploring Mathematics within the Art of Figure Skating. Bridges Math and Art proceedings. 


This paper accompanied the workshop presented in Bridges 2016 conference where participants (pre-service teachers) explored the mathematics related to a figure skater's arm movements while performing an upright spin in relation to trajectories in which hands and arms travelled. The presenters used a geometry software to depict the arm movements during the spin. The mathematical concepts explored in this activity included proportional relationships, regression, circular geometry, and trigonometry.

STOP -This is a very practical example which demonstrated the real life application of mathematics. It is a very short paper and I recommend looking through this if you are interested in learning more about how the art of figure skating has been analysed from a mathematical perspective. It got me thinking about how I can use something similar in my classroom. I am thinking of exploring the mathematics of yoga and various poses. It will be something that brings various subject areas - science ( as in the movement of joints and muscles), PE and  Mathematics. 

        Wondering:  I am very interested in learning more about activities that involve movement in a mathematical classroom. Do any of you have any examples to share particularly for secondary level?

STOP - It was worth noting how the same activity has been adapted as per mathematical understanding of participants.

The activities in the workshop were divided into two parts. Elementary teachers analysed the animation with focus on proportional relationships to calculate scale factors b/w skaters actual measurement in relation to the animation drawing. Secondary teachers analysed the same animation with focus on trigonometry, and geometry in terms of measuring the angles and finding the length of arm movement and areas of the movement.



Activity (Bridges 2017)


I am not into art, I feel like I am a perfect fit for the category of people who say “ I am a Math person, not an art person”.  I really have to extend my thinking to understand a piece of art. When it comes to drawing, sketching or making a replica or even coloring - thats not my comfort zone. I appreciate the aesthetics, beauty and the effort that goes into the beautiful pieces of art that were created by different artists in Bridges 2017 page. But understanding and meaning behind each artwork is not something I am able to make direct connections with or comprehend right away.





I chose the art work by Regina Bittencourt as I was able to make direct Mathematical connections simply based on first look and in addition it was something that I thought I would be able to replicate as the design involved only straight lines, and I could use a ruler to draw those. 


As I was measuring and drawing my squares, it gave me so many ideas about how we can use this activity in our math classrooms in terms of building understanding of shapes, proportions, symmetry and extending to understanding areas. What a great lesson it would be in terms of understanding the different sizes of squares and how no squares sharing a boundary have the same color.


2 comments:

  1. My middle child is really into soccer, and my oldest is really into basketball. I think both sports contain lots of potential math applications. Angles, shapes, arcs, rates of speed, vertical height etc. are all concepts that these athletes are using while playing. As we move into spring, I'm thinking of taking my students outside to explore some of these concepts. I can totally see them mapping the soccer field and creating a scale diagram. Then using their knowledge of linear equations to create "plays" and calculate the most efficient way of moving the ball up the field and around the defenders. It would be amazing if the PE department could work with me on that idea, but regardless, it would still be a great way to enjoy the fresh air and get some movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more of a science topic than a math topic, but one activity involving movement that comes to mind is a demonstration of how energy (P waves and S waves) dissipates from an earthquake - I do this activity when I teach gr8 science. One group of students stands in a line side to side with their arms outstretched and palms touching, then another student (or the teacher) pushes along the line of students to simulate a p wave travelling through the ground, or to simulate an s wave you push their outstretched arms side to side. I'm not doing a great job of explaining things here, but I found a video on youtube of a teacher doing something similar: https://youtu.be/gjRGIpP-Qfw?si=HvQBAckxlShVmCsJ

    Anyways, I really like this demonstration as I've found it really helps students see and remember how the 2 waves are different and it also shows why s waves do not travel through the liquid part of Earth's core!

    ReplyDelete